Colossians 3:17

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus,
giving thanks to God the Father through Him."

Thursday, October 8, 2009

_______If I Were in Charge of the World

I have previously claimed that I have always been a writer (among other things).  Here is a bit of proof.  This is a poem I wrote in fifth grade, modeled after Judith Viorst's poem by the same title.  Granted, you probably wrote a similar poem considering that nearly every fifth grade student in America has written their own version of this poem.  However, does every fifth grade student get a shiny blue Sticker of Approval from the teacher?  I think not.

Go to "If I Were in Charge of the World and Other Worries: Poems for Children and their Parents" page

If I Were in Charge of the World

If I were in charge of the world
I'd cancel mosquitoes
The sun
Gun fights and also
Crazy people

If I were in charge of the world
There'd be longer weekends
Shorter school years and
Chocolate sundaes fifty thousand feet higher

If I were in charge of the world
You wouldn't have bad days
You wouldn't have taxes
You wouldn't have spinach
Or "Go do your homework"
You wouldn't even have homework

If I were in charge of the world
In fifth grade you'd have your ABC's and 1,2,3's
All boys would be nice
And a person who sometimes forgot to work
And sometimes forgot to clean
Would still be allowed to be in charge of the world



Looking back, it is not clear to me why I wanted to do away with the sun.  Seems like that would be a bit reckless.  Also, why in the world was I concerned with taxes?  As a fifth grader, I never had to file my own taxes.  And I still haven't to this day.  I'm still all for canceling the mosquitoes though.

Nasty Things.

No comments: