Colossians 3:17

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus,
giving thanks to God the Father through Him."

Friday, May 7, 2010

Summer Home School

Some of my small group girls got to talking about summer plans and I opened my big mouth about how I wanted to do some thematic lessons with my kids.  Here's the link to my blog post where I first started brainstorming this idea (March 25th post).  Well, my small group ladies, knowing me the way that they do, knew I would be nerdy enough to have plans already drawn up and asked if I could share them.

All of the themes are not set in stone but this is how I was thinking I would keep us busy this summer (along with many trips to the pool, the zoo, small group, and the YMCA) and also keep us from watching too much TV.


Week of:
Theme
Mon
Tues
Wed
Thurs
Fri
May 31-June 4
Family
library
letters
pictures
numbers
outing
June 7-June 11
Safety
library
letters
pictures
numbers
outing
June 14-June 18
Money
library
letters
pictures
numbers
outing
June 21-June 25
VBS
Off
VBS
VBS
VBS
VBS
June 28-July 2
4th of July
library
letters
pictures
numbers
outing
July 5-July 9
Where I live 
library
letters
pictures
numbers
outing
July 12-July 16
Vacation
Off
Off
Off
Off
Off
July 19-July 23
Health/Food
library
letters
pictures
numbers
outing
July 26-July 30
Exercise
library
letters
pictures
numbers
outing
August 2-August 6
Manners 
library
letters
pictures
numbers
outing
August 9- August 13
 Music
library
letters
pictures
numbers
outing
August 16- August 20
School
library
letters
pictures
numbers
outing
August 23
KINDERGARTEN STARTS!


I figure I'll spend about 30 minutes to 1 hour each day on the "lessons," except for the outing day which will of course take longer. Also, because I want to help Isaac get more prepared for Kindergarten, I have specific goals that I want to work on for each activity that I do:



Skills (In Italics)
Library Day: Check out and read books on the theme: Sight Words

Letter Day: Print out words related to the theme; have kids practice writing same words in their journals: Letter Recognition, Letter Sound Recognition

Picture Day: Print out pictures related to the theme for kids to color and glue in their journals: Holding Pencil Properly

Number Day: Use the theme to do some number skills: Adding/Subtracting, Counting (by 1’s, by 2’s, by 5’s, and by 10’s)


Of course, this plan is rated "high" in parent involvement so I definitely have time sets aside in the day for them to play independently.  Also this is a big disclaimer: just because I've drawn up the plans does not mean that I will follow through and actually do this to the end.  Please allow me wiggle room to decide it's not working!

1 comment:

rdufilho said...

You are already a better-organized homeschool mom than I am. Seriously! Maybe you can use the time next year when Isaac's at school to teach me how to be a better homeschooler.

You're going to have so much fun this summer. I'm just bummed that we'll be there for the "exercise" week instead of the "food" week.