Colossians 3:17

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus,
giving thanks to God the Father through Him."

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Recipe #6: Pesto Chicken with Zucchini

Mmmmm!  At our small group retreat a few weeks ago, I first tried Pesto Chicken.  Then, as I was looking for a new recipe to try this week, I came across it in Better Homes and Gardens Fresh and Simple cookbook:

4 medium skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
2 tbsp pesto
2 cups chopped zucchini and/or yellow summer squash
2 tbsp shredded Asiago or Parmesan
1 tbsp olive oil
In a large nonstick skillet, cook chicken in hot olive oil over medium heat for 4 minutes.  Turn chicken; add squash.  Cook until chicken is no longer pink and squash is crisp-tender, stirring squash gently once or twice  Transfer chicken and squash to dinner plates.  Spread pesto over chicken; sprinkle with cheese.
My changes:
I cooked wheat pasta to go along with it and after straining it, I added a tablespoon of butter and a handful of the shredded cheese to it.  I also turned up the heat at the end of cooking the chicken/zucchini for a browned outside.

Another good note:
Pesto freezes and thaws really well and so does shredded cheese.  So, I can keep the leftover pesto and cheese in my freezer, uncooked pasta in my pantry, and chicken in my freezer.  Pull it all out and this is an anytime kind of meal (just add the veggie)!

Our scores:
Adel: 8/10 The only thing that would make this better for him is if it were Chinese food.  ;)
Me: 10/10 Simple, easy, healthy, and tasty.  Pretty near perfect for a family meal.
Isaac: 8/10 Loved the pasta, ate the chicken with ketchup and ranch instead of pesto and tasted the zucchini.
Abby: 8/10 Pretty much ditto big brother.

1 comment:

Teri Dufilho said...

this looks so yummy and i'm gonna add it to my arsenal.....!!! :)