Colossians 3:17

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus,
giving thanks to God the Father through Him."

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Summertime...And the Livin' Is Easy

After a dull spring break, I've been trying to plan ahead for this summer to figure out a way to keep Isaac occupied and to keep me from going crazy with too many unaccounted hours in the day.  One thing I think I'll do is use a portion of the budget that currently goes toward Isaac's preschool to pay for a membership at the YMCA.  That way I can work out while the kids play at a place that's not home, with toys that aren't their toys.  Then there's always the neighborhood swimming pool and visiting Mimi and Boppa, both of which I'm sure we'll do a lot.  But I was recently inspired with a new idea for a long-term project the three of us can do together.

Every time I talk to my cousin Robin about her homeschooling experience, I get inspired.  Not that I actually want to follow through with the discipline of homeschooling my children...but the thought of creatively teaching my kids without being controlled by state tests and principals looking over my shoulder is very appealing.  Plus, it would be great for Isaac to have even more of a background before starting Kindergarten (he'll still be four years old on the first day of school...his birthday is day two!)  So, I think I'm going to try a mini-version of home school.  I guess it could be considered "home summer school."
(Disclaimer, you must keep in mind that I am a HUGE dreamer and we are months from summer...whether or not I actually DO any of this is still to be determined).

Here's how I envision this working for us:  The kids pick a new theme every week.  Then, during the week, we do as many of the following as we can incorporating the topic (let's pretend our topic for this week is "hamsters" because Isaac is really into hamsters right now):

  • Check out books at the library (on hamsters)
  • Print out coloring pages (or cut out of magazines) to make a thematic poster (about hamsters)
  • Keep a journal about what we learn (about hamsters)
  • Go on a "field trip" to see one in person (pet store: to see the hamsters)
  • Watch a video (pre-screened YouTube video on hamsters maybe?)
  • Pretend we are one ("yay, we're hamsters!")
  • Print out the word and practice letters and letter sounds (H-A-M-S-T-E-R)
  • Use pictures of the topic to do counting and math skills (what's 2 hamsters plus 1 hamster?)
squeak!
Any other ideas?

3 comments:

Sarah Heder said...

Megan, I follow a blog called Toddler Boredom Busters: http://toddlerboredombusters.blogspot.com/

She kind of does what you're planning on doing this summer. She has a new theme each week and shows you crafts/activities that you can do to reinforce that theme. You should look through her archives. She has a lot of good ideas! I don't know how I stumbled across it, but I like to check it out every now and then. Anyway, thought it might help!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good plan. I did that when I was a nanny to two 5 year old boys one summer. I kept those kids busy all morning....we did journaling (mostly drawing and letter practice), then field trips, water days, lots of arts, practice cooking. I made quiet time for 1.5 hours every afternoon and that was teh only time they could watch TV. So even if they would sleep, they at least chilled out for awhile watching tv and giving me a needed break! It was a happy and fun summer! -Kimera-

rdufilho said...

Gracious, I barely have enough motivation to follow through on homeschooling.
One summer we did a color week (Ellie was still learning) and each day we wore, ate, read books about, and played with one specific color.
Let me know some of I & A's other interests - I may have some ideas for you. Like, next fall we are going to mummify a chicken as we study ancient Egypt and then build it a pyramid out of LEGOs. Wouldn't you like dehydrated poultry at your house, too?

Our plans this summer are to NOT do school. Maybe we'll come to your house instead.