Colossians 3:17

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus,
giving thanks to God the Father through Him."

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

More Decorating Help?!?

I love the rearrangement I did moving the comfy couches into the TV room.  It has created an awesome, cozy space for my friends and family to hang out in.  (I still want to add some color to the walls and some curtains, but that's in the works).

Since the furniture swap, I have felt a bit concerned for my "formal living room."  It used to have my comfy couches and so it was the place where both my small groups gathered weekly.  But as a "formal living room," it really doesn't get used any more.  The kids play in it every now and then but the grownups never go in there and it feels like a wasted space.  That's really a shame, because it's a great, big room.  One of my friends was trying to sell her grand piano and that got me really inspired to buy a piano for that room and make it a friendly music/reading space.  I really need you to come to my house and see this for yourself, but since you probably can't do that, hopefully you can help me from just pictures.

I really like the window-wall...the couch between the end tables and plants looks nice to me (still needs window treatments, but again, that's another work in progress).

This corner I don't love.  This nook, between the two grand columns, is where I can see a grand or mini-grand piano really completing the room.  The round end would fit nicely between the columns and the keyboard end would face the rest of the room.  (And I do play at a basic level and would like to practice and improve as well as teach my kids).  Unfortunately I can't afford that kind of piano.  

Then another friend offered me a low price on an upright piano.  It sounded like a great idea but then I considered the space where I had envisioned my piano.  While I think a grand or baby-grand would look great in this nook, I think an upright would see odd here because of the space behind the columns.  Don't you think an upright needs to be against a wall?  Or is there some way I could decorate the space behind it so that it didn't seem odd?

Another option is to completely rearrange the room and put the upright in this corner. But that would mean uprooting my happy red couch/table/plant combo.  If you look back up at the pic of my TV room, I could also put the upright in place of the china cabinet.  The china cabinet really doesn't belong there but when I turned my formal dining room into a game room, it had to go somewhere else and that's the only place.  If I replace it, it will have to be sold and I'm not sure if that's the right thing to do since I still have the matching table and chairs (I'd be fine getting rid of it, but I would have guilt at not keeping the set together...they were my moms).  

My final option is to pass on the piano for now...start saving for a used mini-grand...and use that money for paint and curtains.  This would not solve my "formal living room" problem, but it might be the smarted move.  What do you think?  Why is this so hard and complicated for me?  I love the idea of decorating but I hate the reality.


In case I totally confused you with too much information, here are the questions/options:

1. Do you think an upright needs to be against a wall?  Or is there some way I could decorate the space behind it so that it didn't seem odd? Basically, should an upright piano go between those columns?
2. Should I rearrange the room so that the piano can go in that corner and move the red couch/table/plants somewhere else?
3. Should I get rid of the china cabinet, even though it matches the table and chairs, and put the upright piano in it's place?
4. Should I hold off on the piano idea and spend my $ on paint and curtains for now?


4 comments:

Robin said...

Meg,
You are too funny. I'm no decorator, but I'll give you my opinion.

1. I think an upright piano needs to be against a wall (or in the middle of a Sunday school room. I think that I will look strange sitting between the columns - not in the middle of the room, not quite against the wall.

2. If you do rearrange the room to create a reading/music room, you could put the red couch between the columns and get lamps for the tables to create a reading area. That wall by the window seems like a nice space for an upright.

3. I don't like the idea of getting rid of the china cabinet. I like keeping sets together and I like the idea of having a defined music room.

4. I think that paint and curtains make a world of difference (plus you really can do both on the cheap). I do love the idea of a baby grand in that space in your formal living room - I think it would make a gorgeous statement as people walk into your house and it would, as you said, fill that awkward space nicely.
If you think that you can save for a baby grand, and if you don't have the kids in piano lessons and need an instrument right now, maybe waiting on the piano and finishing the rooms with paint would be a better option right now.

I hope this helps. I can't wait to come see your house in person.

Love you!

meganlagoy.blogspot.com said...

Thanks, Robin. I think that is all true. I have been waiting for 4 years to paint and window-treat this house, and mostly b/c of costs and a tight budget (and low priority...And stupid Dave!). It would be pretty crazy to bypass the basics for a bigger purchase. Guess it would be more of an impulse buy. I think I'm going to focus on the walls for now. Thank you so much for sharing some time with me on this!

Bethany said...

okay... here is my two cents:

1. If you really want a piano, get the upright. I think it could work between the columns, you could get some kind of console table to put on the other side with lamps, a plant, picture frames, etc as you would behind a sofa. Or swap the room around (you could always try it and if you missed your happy corner, change it back!). OR, I think the piano would look great in the place of the china cabinet, which brings me to my next point...

2. You should NOT have guilt about splitting up the set- ESPECIALLY if you don't even love that china cabinet and could use a piano in that spot! Its only furniture!!! Wood and nails and some glass. :) Seriously, don't let hanging onto sentimental things that you don't love keep you from decorating in a way that you would love. Its your house!

3. If you really want a baby grand, then it does seem like it would be wise to just wait and save up for that. But if I were making the choice, I would get the upright, sell the china cabinet, and then use that money and the money you save instead of buying a baby grand to do paint and curtains! I have always grown up having a piano in my home and we have one now, and I think it is such an amazing investment... so either way you go that will be so great for your kids!

There's my two cents!

Bethany said...

okay just now reading your reply to Robin's comment- and I definitely agree with her #4 about the paint and curtains! I agree that that should be your first priority! But I also think the upright would be pretty great in place of the china cabinet.

Okay, that's all.

I was honest, I promise. :)