Colossians 3:17

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus,
giving thanks to God the Father through Him."

Thursday, February 4, 2010

_______Inspiring Movies for Women

Last night I watched Julie and Julia with some of my wonderful girlfriends.  I loved it.  (I know, I'm super behind on movies, but that's life).
Julie & Julia
Of course, the more movies I see Meryl Streep in, the more I realize she is amazing.  She was hilarious as Julia Child.  I couldn't help but giggle every time I saw her clomping and bubbling around in that marvelously jolly way.  But that alone would not be enough to win me to an entire film.  What I loved about Julie and Julia was that it told the stories of two women who found a way to pursue what they loved.

It reminded me of another movie that stirred me to want to pursue my own passion (writing): The Prize Winner of Defiance Ohio (2005).
The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio
Here's what I wrote about it in MomWorks:

It’s about a 1950’s mom who learns to find fulfillment in her life.  She has seemingly a thousand children, a deadbeat husband, and a million worries, but she doesn’t just sit around feeling sorry for herself and wringing her dishpan hands.  Instead, she spends her extra time and energy entering poetry and writing contests for commercial advertising.  Through this enterprise, she provides for herself a creative and intellectual outlet.  She meets a supportive social network of other at-home mothers who do the same contesting.  And she enhances her spiritual life by learning that God uses her skills to provide for her and her family (miraculously, their needs are provided for time and again by a last-minute contest win).  To me, she is a model for at-home mothering at its finest...As an at-home mom, I am given an open slate for how I spend my time.  I can become and pursue anything I want.  If you’ve ever had a passion that’s had to take the back burner because of lack of time, now’s your chance to pursue it, bits at a time, and for God’s glory.


These two movies make me think about all my momma friends who are pursuing their passions.  I know self-made photographers, ladies who make gorgeous handcrafts and products, wedding planners, home-school teachers, women's ministry leaders, pastors, and exercise instructors.  I even know mommas who, against the culture of dual-income families, and sometimes even against that bully, the family budget, are pursuing their dreams to be stay-at-home moms.

I am so proud of those mommas!  So, if you've ever had a passion that's had to take the back burner because of lack of time, now's your chance to pursue it, bits at a time, and for God's glory!

PS, if you know of any other movies for women that are similarly inspiring, please share in the comments section below!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I couldn't help but think of a bunch of movies while I was reading this (and I loved Julie and Julia!)

How about:
Mona Lisa Smile
Eat, Pray, Love (soon to be a movie)
Contact
The Miracle Worker (about Helen Keller)
Real Women Have Curves
Diary of Anne Frank

just to name a few . . . btw, I will now probably spend the rest of the day coming up with more movies instead of really working. :-)