Colossians 3:17

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus,
giving thanks to God the Father through Him."

Saturday, February 13, 2010

_______Lovin' On My Girlfriends


It just so happens that Valentine's Day marks the anniversary of the playgroup I joined after I had Abby.  My local friends and I have been mothering together for two years!  Here's a tribute to the friends I have made in the playgroup, and of course, it also includes my other dear friends that I'm still in touch with from high school, college, and all the church groups I've been a part of.  Pretty much, the title says it all: it's an ode to all of my girlfriends.  Love my girls.

An Ode to My Girlfriends

All my best girlfriends
Work full-time, whether they’re employed or not.
They are nurses and teachers, students and stay-at-home moms,
Even dentists and pastors, psychologists, dancers, homeschoolers, exercise instructors…
And all of them work hard.

All my best girlfriends
Know the importance of eating right and working to keep their bodies fit and strong. 
They are educated and smart, making good choices.
But they also know the importance of sitting together with a friend, a tall glass of milk, and a stack of Oreo cookies.

All my best girlfriends
Talk about how their kids drive them crazy
Almost as much as they talk about how they adore their children.
They know that laughing is just as important as loving,
And they make no pretense to perfection.

All my best girlfriends
Have curly hair, straight hair, worn long or short,
They have freckles, and braces, and glasses, or not.
They are polished and glamorous, or natural and plain.
They are dark, light, tall, petite, thin, full-figured,
And beautiful, all.

All my best girlfriends
Love to make fun of their husbands
Almost as much as they love to love their husbands.
They know that laughing is just as important as loving,
And they are real, and deep, and sincere.

All my best girlfriends
Love manicures, mommy’s night outs, and margaritas
Just as much as cuddle time and agendas and projects and ABCs,
Because they know that sometimes a girl just needs to feel young and carefree again.
Sometimes a girl just needs to be a girl.

All my best girlfriends
Are strong enough to do it on their own,
And smart enough to know they don’t have to.
They help me see my strengths and weaknesses
And understand that sometimes those can be one and the same.

And all my girlfriends
Love and laugh, cry and comfort,
Pray and praise, work and walk through life together.
Thank God for girlfriends!

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

I'll share a stack of oreos with you any day!!