Colossians 3:17

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus,
giving thanks to God the Father through Him."

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

_______The Prayers of my Sisters

Sometimes the power of prayer, in the hands of my sisters, becomes so relevant and obvious to me.

There was one time in particular this past year when I was experiencing a puzzling and repetitive anxiety over the same issue.  I finally decided that I needed to humble myself and let some of my spiritual sisters know what I was struggling with.  I sent out an email summarizing my issue and then began to work on my reading for my small group.  A few minutes later, I felt a sense of peace settling in on me, as if it drifted down like a blanket from heaven.  I knew, just knew, that one of my girlfriends had gotten my email and was praying for me right then. So confident was I in this that I didn't even bother to interrupt my reading to check my email inbox.  I just noted the time, said a prayer of thanks, and told myself that I would check my inbox after I finished my reading to confirm what I believed.

Sure enough, the time on the email in my inbox matched the time I noted on my clock when I felt the peace settle in on my heart.  One of my dearest friends from college had received my email, prayed for me, and then sent me an email of encouragement.  I was not surprised at all to see her reply in my inbox.  She had prayed out of love for me and God had responded to that heartfelt prayer.  It doesn't always work that way.  But sometimes it does.  And when you get to see God at work, and connect the pieces, it is humbling and touching that He cares enough to intervene in our daily lives through the power of prayer.

I experienced something similar this week.  I had set up a phone conference to a woman who I consider a mentor of mine in that she has been in women's ministry for many years and has always encouraged me to lead, to write, and to grow.  I wanted to talk to her about how she got started in her ministry because that is what I feel  I want to do with myself right now too.  We talked for a while, swapped stories, caught up on life details, and then she offered to pray for me.

Specifically, she prayed that the church who had expressed interest in having me come to talk would contact me. "Even today, Lord," she prayed with such confidence that it surprised me.  How could she pray so confidently for something that God might just as well say "no" to?  My prayers tend to be less direct: "If it's Your will, Lord."  However, after hearing her prayer, I have to say that I was waiting in expectation for someone from the church to contact me.  I checked my email a few times.  Nothing was happening there.  So I started early preparing dinner.  That's when the phone rang.  When the caller ID did not identify a name to match the number, I practically could have answered the phone saying, "Hi!  I was expecting you to call!"  It was one of the ladies in charge of women's ministry at the church in question.

How I love, love, love to see God working through the lives of everyday women, who love each other and lift each other up in prayer.  Keep praying for your girlfriends and be waiting with expectation for God to move and work among you!

1 comment:

Teri Dufilho said...

wow, this post was from january, and i'm just now reading it!!!.....awesome post.....it makes me think of how Peter's friends prayed for him, he was released from prison miraculously as a result, and then they could hardly believe it at first!!......we need to pray with that expectancy that He will work in our situation!