Colossians 3:17

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus,
giving thanks to God the Father through Him."

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

_______Networking

I cannot believe what I did yesterday.  I said I was going to do it, I just can't believe I actually did.

The first part was safe and easy.  I just made myself some business cards:

Then I got myself and Abby ready to go and we drove over to Nana's Attic, an adorable miscellaneous boutique in League City where I had gone with DD, Mimi, and Abby on our girls' day last week (we had a "tea party" at the Holly Berry Tea Room two stores down).  When we were shopping in Nana's Attic a week ago, I noticed in one corner a shelf with several books, many of which were "mom" themed.  So I asked the owner if I could bring my book by for her to take a look at to see if she could sell it there.

And yesterday, as I walked into the store, I had a mild case of butterflies in my stomach.  What was I thinking?  Who is going to possibly want to sell my book?  But I knew I would never forgive myself if I didn't follow through and so I approached the owner with a smile.  She graciously took EveryMom and told me she would get reading.  She couldn't have been more kind and, whether or not she choses to sell my book, I hope everyone local who reads this will head over there to see what cute products she has (I especially like her cooking aprons and handbags).

After that I headed down the street to Mardel Christian Book Store.  I walked in hoping to get the same kind of reception as I did at Nana's Attic, but the florescent lights and warehouse feel gave me a clue that something was amiss, and I adopted a more formal tone than I had previously.  As the manager approached, I reached out my hand, which she begrudgingly took and then proceeded to wipe off on her shirt as if I had given her cooties.  I asked her about the process or possibility of getting my book on the shelves there.  She gruffly replied, barely letting the question mark settle on my question, that only "corporate office" could make that kind of decision.

Then I realized my folly.  I, ignorantly, had not connected the fact that Mardel is a national chain (I don't shop much, remember?).  For me to try to enter a Mardel store to see if they would sell my book would be like a self-employed seamstress walking into JC Penny's to ask the sales clerk if she would sell her homemade aprons.  It just doesn't work that way.  So, once again, I find I have so much to learn about this business.  And I am learning (often the hard way).  From now on I will try to focus only on local shops and church bookstores.

(Still, that manager could have been a little more kind, right?  Oh well.  As I learned in The Search for Significance, everybody has issues...I just don't need to take her issue on me and make it mine.  So, I thanked her for her advice and then asked her to look up a book for me...tee hee...before I left to pick up Isaac.)

And then, yesterday afternoon, I received THE PHONE CALL.  It was the Pastor at my dad's church.  My dad had given her a copy of EveryMom and she was calling to set up a lunch meeting to discuss the possibility of me being a speaker at a church women's event in the fall.  The way she worded it was, "I'm thinking about creating an event around your talk."  Talk about excitement!  Talk about breaking out into a cold sweat!

Okay, God, I asked for this.  Now please HELP me see it through!

5 comments:

The Sharp Family said...

Wow...so exciting Meg!! And I can't wait to hear "your talk." Soon I'll have a new claim to fame..."yeah, you know my sister...the famous author."

meganlagoy.blogspot.com said...

Lindsay, this IS exciting, but I'm not sure you'll ever be able to voice that claim to fame! ;)

Teri Dufilho said...

AND i can say, "oh yeah, that's MY neice!!....if you're real nice to me, i can even get her to sign your copies of all 7 of her bestsellers"..... ok, megan, you will HAVE to have a test audience to practice your talk on, so i am sure that we will have a gathering to hear you!......i can't wait!!.....i'm so excited for you and will add all your concerns about it to my prayers......yippee!!....oh, and LOVE your business cards, megan lagoy, speaker-writer!!!

Jason said...

Mrs. Lagoy,

I apologize for the indifference shown by our management at our store. Your analogy about placing product in our stores is a good one. If you will contact my assistant, Stephanie, at our corporate office, we can get you better information on product submissions to Mardel (and maybe contacts in other bookstores as well).

(405) 745 1300 ask for Stephanie

Blessings,

Jason Green
President
Mardel, Inc.

Sarah Heder said...

Megan, this is great news! I am constantly inspired by your persistence in going after what you are passionate about it life and finding a way to share it with others. Keep us updated!