Colossians 3:17

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus,
giving thanks to God the Father through Him."

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Piano Recital

One of my goals for this summer was to start the kids off in piano lessons.  I took three years of piano lessons as a child so I figured as long as I could stay ahead of the kids, I could be their teacher.  I started by making a deal with my mom that if she would buy the supplies, I would take care of the lessons.  She went for it, and we ended up with Alfred's Lesson and Theory books for all 5 of our kids (my 2 and my sister's 3).

Being the teacher-at-heart that I am, I made the kids each a piano keyboard lesson chart so they could mark off each time they completed a lesson.  The reward at the end of the chart...a piano recital on DD's grand piano to showcase their skills!

The best thing about this whole venture was the way it spread a music-bug through the family.  At first the recital was just going to be for the kids, but then some of the adults decided to play a song or two.  And then other instruments were added to the recital program.

Abby was too shy to play during the real recital but if you were paying attention, you could catch her practicing her song beforehand when no one was really paying attention.

Amelia did the same thing.

Lily played "Old Mac Donald" on the black keys and another song on the white keys.  She has proven to be the quickest at picking up the skill.

Isaac, like Lily, played "Old Mac Donald" and made NO mistakes which made him very happy and has fueled his desire to learn more.
To hear his 1-minute video, click HERE (it will redirect this page so you may want to read the rest first).

Aubrey played "Merrily We Roll Along."

Little feet that don't reach the floor while little fingers are playing the keys.

I am so impressed at my sister who knew nothing about playing the piano at the beginning of summer and has taught herself alongside and ahead of her children by following the lesson books.  She played "The Star Spangled Banner."

My grandma, DD, played the most advanced piece...a waltz that the rest of us could never imagine mastering.  She is the only one with real ability among us and it was nice to hear her play well.

My cousins, Tristan and Jaclyn, who were visiting from Colorado played a duet ("Heart and Soul").

My dad and I also doinked out a few tunes and I attempted to sing along to one of mine that was a hymn.  

Then the music really got interesting:
Mom and Dad played a duet on their recorders and laughed most of the way through it.

Uncle Joe played a song he wrote on the guitar.

Tristan played a classical guitar medley.

Then Uncle Joe introduced us to the electric guitar...

...and the accordion! 

Andrew, my cousin who's going off to college this month, "didn't" play the harmonica for us, but if you caught him when he wasn't paying attention, you might see this:

The audience.

DD and Tristan and Jaclyn had prepared musical cookies to celebrate the occasion (guitars, stars, playing hands, and music notes).


And, because it was a family recital instead of the real thing, we all spent the rest of the day together eating and swimming, reading, playing cards and games, and cooling off with homemade ice cream...






My crew was very happy with the recital and are excited and motivated to learn more, practice, and be ready for the next one.  We plan to do a Christmas recital where everyone has to play a Christmas song.  My family, that I have never considered musical (no Von Trapps here), really stepped up for this experience.  I'm looking forward to hear each one's progress in a few months.


3 comments:

Sarah Heder said...

What a fantastic idea! I love family get-togethers like this. I have always wanted to take piano lessons for myself (took them for a little bit as a little girl) and I'd love for my girls to have lessons. We need a piano!!!

Teri Dufilho said...

you guys know how to drain every drop of fun out of getting together for sure!.....even down to the music-themed cookies!

Lindsay said...

Love how your posts have the same info as mine with a different twist! Not sure if I'm looking forward to Christmas recital or not!