Colossians 3:17

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus,
giving thanks to God the Father through Him."

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Whirlwind Days

I can honestly say that this Halloween weekend passed as a complete blur.  All things considered, I would say that's to be expected.  However, even with Mom in the hospital, we managed to find some time this weekend to practice some Halloween traditions with the kids (probably because when you are a parent, you still are there for your kids, no matter what is going on in your life, right?).  First of all we tried pumpkin carving.  But our pumpkins had been emptied out a few days too early and were a little too similar to sludge to be carved.

But the heroic "Uncle Delly" managed to find one pumpkin still stable enough to carve and the one child remaining who was interested in the process stayed to watch him finish the job.
And the finished product (which held up miraculously through Halloween night, only to be found in a sagging, mushy heap the next morning...at least the smell kept creeps away):

We also received a fun package from a dear friend of mine with popcorn balls and icing and candies for decorating them, jack-o-lanturn-style.
Needless to say, all five kids had a blast with this project.
On Halloween night, Dad and I had just gotten home from spending the afternoon in the ICU with Mom, and gobbled up some dinner, when we hastily got the kids dressed in costume for trick or treating.   Here we have an enthusiastic Peter Pan, Tinkerbell, and pirate, and a half-hearted crocodile (notice the clock, a la Captain Hook's nemesis). 

After making it through Halloween, we headed back to the hospital to be with Mom the next day.  Our thoughts have been there throughout everything and I just got the word that Mom is out of ICU (to a transitional room between ICU status and regular recovery room status, whatever that means).  I am glad to hear the doctor's feel she is ready for the move to a regular recovery room, because, even though I still have my own worries about her well-being, I trust that they know much better than I do.  

We started a blog soley for friends and family to get updates on her health status.  It's called "The Queen is In!"  Please feel free to check it throughout the day to see how she is doing.

I have returned home for the night and am super thankful for my uncle, Tom, who has come to stay with Dad.  I wouldn't have come home if he hadn't come.  I'm also thankful for my husband, who has picked up all the slack on the home front and totally rocks in every way, and for friends who have offered to bring us dinner and help with the kids.

Our friend who brought dinner tonight brought chili and so many options of fixin's that we were beyond excited to eat.
Abby and Isaac both had chili with hot dogs on the side.
Adel enjoyed a full-on chili dog (or two).
And I had the famed "Frito-pie" (which we had never heard of before moving to Texas, but is clearly a God-send in times of trouble...if you don't know what it is, you should move to Texas).   We have another friend bringing us dinner tomorrow night.  So thankful for good friends.

I feel very torn about being here.  On one hand, I am pretty worn out and a short break from the excitement will do me good.  On the other hand, I am trying to be ok with being so far away from my family.  I'll be heading back up there tomorrow night and will stay at least throughout the weekend.  Looking forward to a good night's sleep in my own bed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there...Kevin and I are praying for your Mom and your family every night! I am so glad you have so much family around to help support and encourage everyone.

Kimera and Kevin

Bethany said...

love the popcorn ball idea- what a fun creative friend!! Of course, we are still praying. Glad you got to be home at least for a little while and hopefully you were able to rest.

Lindsay said...

Glad you captured some of these in-btwn moments. I felt like I was leading a double life too! Physically and emotionally exhausting. But praise the God who sustains and the wonderful support of family and friends!