Colossians 3:17

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus,
giving thanks to God the Father through Him."

Saturday, November 21, 2009

New Recipe #1: Broccoli and Cheese Frittata

For my first attempt at a new recipe, I went for a breakfasty theme.  I based my cooking on All You magazine's recipe for Broccoli and Feta Frittata:

1 Tbsp unsalted butter
2 cups chopped broccoli florets
salt and pepper
7 large eggs
3 oz. feta, crumbled

1. In an 8-inch ovenproof nonstick skillet or well-seasoned cast-iron pan, melt butter over medium heat.  Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 4 minutes.  Add broccoli, sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender, about 6 minutes longer.

2.  Preheat broiler to high and set oven rack 4 inches from heat source.  In a medium bowl whisk together eggs; season with additional salt and pepper.  Pour eggs over onion-broccoli mixture, stir to combine, then dot surface with feta.  Cook, without stirring, until eggs are set on bottom and beginning to set on top, about 5 minutes.  Transfer pan to oven and broil until eggs are set and beginning to brown, 2-3 minutes.  Cut into wedges and serve hot or at room tempurature.

My changes:
I left out the onion because none of us likes onion.  I also swapped the feta for half goat cheese, half colby jack.  I also added halved grape tomatoes on top just before putting it in the oven. (The goat cheese and the grape tomatoes were suggested by a similar recipe from Diane Rossen Worthington's cookbook Seriously Simple).  I used frozen broccoli and it worked great.  I also added an egg because 7 eggs seemed like a weird number!
How the kids helped:
I sliced about a 1/2 inch off our large block of colby jack for each child and let them use plastic picnic knives to chop it into "cubes."  Isaac also used his plastic knife to cut our grape tomatoes in "half." ("Cubes" and "half" are in quotations because, with kids, nothing is ever exact).  They both helped scramble the eggs before we added them to the hot pot and Isaac helped place the tomatoes decoratively on top.  (Abby spent the rest of her time pretending to paint her toenails as seen below:)
Our scores:
Megan: 7/10
Adel: 5/10, pretty neutral
Isaac: 0/10, wouldn't even lick it even though he likes all 4 ingredients (egg, cheese, tomatoes, and broccoli)
Abby: 5/10

My review:
I would, and will, make this dish again.  It was fast and easy and Isaac is just going to have to learn to try new dishes.  After trying both the colby jack side and the goat cheese side, Adel and I both agreed that cj or cheddar is the way to go.  Forget the fancy cheese.  Adel made awesome potato/yam pancakes to go with it (also from Seriously Simple but the recipe is too long to include here).  You can email me if you want to try it.

No comments: