Colossians 3:17

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus,
giving thanks to God the Father through Him."

Monday, November 9, 2009

_______My "New" Job

Since Isaac started preschool three days a week, my time with Abby has been so easy and so precious.  Added to that is the wonderful fact that Isaac is much happier at home and more willing to play with his toys when he gets a good long break from them.  Over the past three months, I have been noticing a happy change.  Managing our family is getting easier and more fun.  That is an awesome blessing!

I have been finding myself in the afternoons, especially since I am no longer working on the latest marathon book project, having some spare time on my hands.  I have been wondering what I should do with my new-found window of time.  We're not talking much time, just an hour or so here and there when the kids are napping.  I recently asked both of my small groups (I'm in a couples' group with Adel as well as the mommy group I lead) to pray that God would help me figure out the best use of my time.  I don't simply want to take on another task just to keep busy.  I have been contemplating doing some volunteering, finding a part-time job I could work from home, taking on some free-lance writing jobs, or even doing some ghost-writing.

This morning, it occurred to me, most surely not by accident, that rather than take on a new job, I would be wise to use any spare time I have to improve my skills in the job I already have.  There are a few things I have been saying since I became a mom that I wish I could do better, if only I had the time and energy.  Well, time and energy seem to be more on my side these past few months than they ever have been in my journey as a mother.  So, I'm kicking off my "new" job today with two resolutions.  Yikes!  It's scary to announce it like that!  Well, hopefully you can help me stick with it (allowing a little room for grace, of course!).

Resolution #1: I will use my extra time to plan and create a fun and simple "Family Night" activity for my family once a week.  This will be a time for us to enjoy each other and make some wonderful memories together.  I'm very excited about this as I have wanted to do it for a long time.  I'll post a new idea each week on the right margin under the "Family Nights" label.  The one for this week is sort of a freebie (Family Night at Chick Fil-A), as my friend Celine and I were planning on taking our families anyway, but it will give me time to plan the family night for next week.

Resolution #2: I will use my extra time to (gulp) try two new, healthy dinner recipes every month.  I have tried this before, unsuccessfully.  I just don't really love cooking.  I do it because I have to.  But, I must admit, we are in a major dinner rut.  By "healthy," I mean the recipe will contain at least one vegetable (that's seriously a step up for us on some days).  I will try to (gulp) involve my kids in the cooking process, rather than fussing at them to get out of the kitchen.  You can help me with this resolution by sending me any healthy recipes you and your family really love (megan.lagoy@gmail.com).  I'll add the new recipes I try to my blog each month as a blog entry with the label "cook."  (That makes me laugh because I really don't consider myself a cook!)

I'm excited about the idea that, a year from now (if I'm successful) I will have tried roughly 24 new recipes and my family will have shared in 52 fun family night experiences.  I love my job!

3 comments:

Charli Honas said...

That is so exciting Megan! I'm so proud of your resolutions. Very Inspiring.

Julie Hoopes said...

Megan, how absolutely wonderful! I love it!

Tara said...

Sounds great, Megan! I have several simple, healthy recipe ideas for you...I will send you an email! Love reading your blog!