Colossians 3:17

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus,
giving thanks to God the Father through Him."

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Recipe #13: Sweet Potato Fries

I haven't posted a recipe in a long time and I have been making this one regularly for the last few months so I thought I'd add it to my online recipe registry.  My fabulous cousin Paul does a cooking show of sorts on his family blog.  And, by request, he did a segment on making sweet potato fries (or hash browns, as he calls them).  The link directly to his blog video is here: What's Mine is Yours.

I have tried many ways to make my own sweet potato fries and this is by far the best (I have never deep fried them since I'm going for the healthy veggie aspect here).  Here's the recipe straight from Paul's website.

Sweet Potato Hashbrowns

  • Sweet Potatoes
  • Olive Oil
  • Kosher Salt
  • Basil

- In the largest frying pan you have, heat enough oil over medium heat to almost cover the bottom.
- Cut the potatoes into a 1/2" dice, or smaller if you prefer.  If you do go smaller, you can probably boost the heat a bit too.
- Once the oil is hot, place the potatoes in the pan and spread out as much as possible so that they're not stacked on top of each other.  You may need to do this in 2 pans or 2 batches depending on how many potatoes you are using.
- Let the potatoes sit for about 5 minutes and flip.  Repeat this probably 2 more times until they are slightly crisp on the outside and soft of the inside.
- Sprinkle with kosher salt and add the basil.  
- **Alternate Method - If you've just got too many potatoes, cut them into 1" chunks, coat with oil and salt, put them on a sheet tray and roast in the oven at 400 F for about 30 minutes or until they are tender.  Throw on the basil when they come out of the oven and toss.  Enjoy!**


I use mine as a side for burgers, which, with wheat buns, tomatoes, and spinach, I feel qualifies for a healthy family dinner.


Our Scores:
Adel: 8/10 - good side for burgers.
Megan: 10/10 - crispy and salty perfection
Isaac: 7/10 - good, for a veggie
Abby: 7/10 - good, for a veggie

1 comment:

Teri Dufilho said...

mmmmmm!.....thanks for reminding me to try this!