Colossians 3:17

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus,
giving thanks to God the Father through Him."

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Sponge Bob (Bleh)

My kid are in pure bliss at this moment because they are doing something they know their mom hates.  Since the very beginning of my parenting, I have made it a point to outlaw Sponge Bob from my home, purely on the grounds that I think watching it makes you dumber (said the English Major who never watched it to the Rocket Scientist who watched it regularly growing up...it's ironic I know, and my opinion makes no sense whatsoever...but that shouldn't surprise you, if you know me...).

The fact is, I think Sponge Bob is a really stupid show and I can't stand it.  So, during all those weekly trips to the library, I never once let Isaac bring home a Sponge Bob book.  This philosophy, of course, made Isaac gravitate habitually to the Sponge Bob section of the bookshelves every time.  Isaac has asked me several times why I don't like Sponge Bob and my answer never gets any more convicting than, "He's so annoying."  But I have stood firm to my decision that there would be no Sponge Bob in my home.

Well, I stood firm until today.  Abby wanted to watch a show on Daddy's ipod.  And she happened upon a Sponge Bob show.  Her joy was so complete at the opportunity to watch the "forbidden show" that she enthusiastically shared it with her equally enthusiastic brother.   I decided it would be best to let them see it just so they would not idolize it their entire childhood as a forbidden treasure.  So, here they are gleefully watching a Sponge Bob episode where the main characters rip their pants (ugh).  I'm not even watching it and I feel dumber already.



3 comments:

Bethany said...

Oh I am so with you on the sponge bob thing!! And for now my excuse is that my kids are definitely too young for the humor, but I know eventually my only excuse will be how annoying he is... ugh.

Teri Dufilho said...

down with sponge bob!

Chandra Hadfield said...

I think you know I am with you on the spongebob deal. Unfortunately, Luke was exposed to it non-stop while he was in the hospital 2 years ago. So, against my wishes, he got attached to the little guy. While I detest him, and think the show is ridiculous, I have found many teachable moments through it. I have even learned a few lessons myself (God seems to use the foolish things of the world to confound the wise 1 Corinthians 1:27) Okay, I don't really think that scripture was meant for spongebob, but still... Haha! I feel your passion toward him! :) You're a great mom, Megan!