Colossians 3:17

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus,
giving thanks to God the Father through Him."

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Creative License

If you've known me for a while or read this blog a few times, you'll know that from time to time I get inspired with creativity.  Usually this culminates in a carefully crafted project for my me and my kids to complete.  Well, last Halloween, Isaac and I created a fun, cheap, and easy door monster:
So this year I wanted to decorate the door again, but I thought instead of a monster, we'll make a pumpkin patch.  We had made construction paper pumpkins before and it was pretty simple.  I precut the pumpkin shapes and the green tops and let the kids cut black scraps to arrange and glue as eyes, nose and mouth.  I was picturing a bunch of pumpkins that look somewhat similar to this, but with each child's creative flair:
My kids, however, apparently have their own creative inspiration (is that allowed?!?) and their vision of pumpkins was not at all what mine had been.   So instead, I got this:
And this:
And this:
I must confess, it was rather hard for me to allow my kids the freedom of their own creativity.  After all, I had a plan, did I not? And, after guiding their craftiness from their first creative attempts toward something that actually resembled pumpkins, I actually had a hard time honoring their creations by displaying them among the other pumpkins in the patch.  But then I thought, "what kind of psycho-controlling mom would I be to have my supposedly kid-created pumpkin patch on display without letting my kids' creativity shine through?"  So, with great deliberateness, I let the kids decorate the door as they imagined with their own creativity:
And the end result is this:
Perhaps not the most picturesque or typical of pumpkin patches.  But, after all, from a creative point of view, I guess typical can be pretty boring.



PS, my dog has been a little high-strung since we hung up the pumpkin patch. You see, every time she passes by the door, she sees this:
And she thinks someone is at the door.  Bitsy believes that her sole purpose on this earth is to bark when people are at the door so she has been barking ALL DAY LONG.  It was pretty funny at first, but it's slowly growing old.  :)



No comments: