Colossians 3:17

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus,
giving thanks to God the Father through Him."

Monday, September 13, 2010

Facebook Slip Up


Last night while innocently scanning Facebook for relevant news, I came across a post from Julie stating something along the lines of: "Official Facebook announcement: we are expecting another baby.  Our due date is March 13."

Off hand, I thought it was rather odd that I wouldn't have found out news like this from my friend Julie before she posted it on Facebook for 800 of her other "friends" to see.  I also found the flippant way it was announced strange considering that any of Julie's friends know that having another child right now is the farthest thing from her mind.  Just ask her if she wants another baby, and see the look she gives you!  But, I thought, people have posted stranger things before.

So I posted a kind little congratulations message on her Facebook "wall."  Within the next half an hour Julie's wall was bombarded with confused little messages from her friends:
Sarah: ???????????????
Tara: excuse me!!!
Kristie: Say what?
Chandra: WHAT????
Susanna: Hello???
Mac: e-squeeze me?

Upon reading the first few, I thought, "Well her other friends must have thought her announcement as strange as I did, but surely they could be more thoughtful in responding with encouragement rather than shock?!"  I was a little taken aback by their apparent insensitivity.  But by the last message of utter confusion, I began to feel that somehow the error had to lie with me.

I knew, I just KNEW that I had seen that post announcing the pregnancy publicly, so how could I be the only one to know about it?  So I went back to Facebook.   That is where, after some sleuthing, I discovered the unsettling truth that it was a completely different friend Julie who was expecting a baby.

For a moment I felt stupefied with horror at what I had done: erroneously posted that Julie was expecting a baby on her wall for all 800 of her Facebook friends to see.  I imagined her getting irate phone calls from her family members and close friends asking why she didn't tell them first...and all because of ME!

Since there's no way of removing a post from someone else's wall,  I quickly wrote another post explaining the mistake.   Finally, Julie chimed in on the situation:
"OH MY GOSH!!!!!!! That is hilarious!! No girls, there is NO baby is this oven!! YIKES! Although, if I was preggers you guys probably WOULD find out through FB because I would be locked up in a mental hospital. :) No worries, Megan."


And then later, when my mortification at the mistake finally turned to some hearty laughter as I re-read the progression of the wall posts, she wrote:
"Laugh away!! I am! Sam said he was glad he didn't see it first or he would have fainted! Hahaha! Good Times... ;)"


I just wanted to commemorate this story here, lest I ever become so prideful that I forget that I am often a careless nit-wit.  Good times indeed.



1 comment:

Sarah Heder said...

Oh my gosh, Megan, that is hilarious! I mean, I would have felt exactly like you and been so worried, but thank goodness your friend has a great sense of humor!