Colossians 3:17

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus,
giving thanks to God the Father through Him."

Friday, March 12, 2010

My First Speaking Gig

This Thursday I went to my mom and dad's church, Windwood Presbyterian Church and followed up a wonderful Beth Moore study on wisdom for mothers with a short talk about my book (EveryMom).  Of course I was nervous but the small group of ladies I spoke to were extremely gracious.  They laughed at all the right moments and I felt most welcome.

And how did I feel about my talk when it was all said and done?  Overall I was extremely pleased with the whole experience.  Of course, I could list a dozen things I plan to change should I get another similar opportunity, but this was a great first run and wonderful learning opportunity.  I also had several ladies take my business cards and brochures to pass on to other women's groups so I am hopeful that I will get the chance to do this again, Lord willing!

I think what made this experience the sweetest is that the ladies of my Houston-based family all came out to support me that morning.  I invited them rather last minute with the thought that, "Hey, this could be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that I may never get to experience again.  Why not make the most of it and celebrate with the ladies I love most of all?"  And so they came: my cousin's wife (expecting #2), my sister, my mom, my grandma, and my aunt.
Of course, they all had nothing but encouragement and positive feedback to offer me afterward.  You've never heard such an outpouring of "I'm proud of you" or "It was perfect."  And it struck me how blessed I am to be held up by such an amazing group of loving women.  

There was a moment, just after leaving my small high school for the great big world, when I actually resented the people in my life who had poured so much praise into me.  It happened right around the time when I started realizing maybe I wasn't quite as amazing as they made me feel.  At least the rest of the world didn't seem to think so!  And, oh, how could they build me up so high only to set me loose in a world that could have cared less?!  Cruel and unusual punishment indeed. 

But, not to worry, it didn't take long before I realized the value of the love that my family has to offer.  They fill me with praise, not because what I accomplish is any better than the next gal out there.  They think I am beautiful, not because I deserve to grace the cover of magazines.  They love and encourage me even when I try and fail simply because they see and love me just for me.  That explains why my precious Aunt Teri insisted on keeping that horrid picture of me on her refrigerator (you know the one, Aunt Teri, where I was 15 pounds overweight after having Abby and experiencing some trouble with hormonal acne).  She did not see the extra weight or the blotched face (until I pointed it out!).  She simply saw the face of one she knew and loved. 

As a mom, you bet I get that now!  There's not a thing my kids could accomplish that would make me love them more.  And not a thing they could do to take an ounce of my love away.  I am so, so thankful for the women in my life who love me just because they love me.  And I am so thankful that my kids will grow up to know this kind of love too.

Oh how

I love

these

beautiful

women!

2 comments:

Teri Dufilho said...

well, i'm a little misty right now reading your blog!....it was such a wonderful morning and you were an absolute delight to every woman in that room....
haha, you got me back regarding posting pics.....i don't like this horrid picture of me, especially because it LOOKS like me!.....scary!....and i seriously love that picture of you on my fridge!, but, alas, i will update it with a new-and-improved one...
ok, now i realize i'm behind in reading your blog, because there are two new entries on playdough and dogs!...

Lindsay said...

So I guess I too should feel "loved" instead of protesting the 10-pound overweight w/ acne face of mine that you posted on the INTERNET for the WHOLE WIDE WORLD to see. Didn't I show you how to edit pictures? But seriously, it was a wonderful day and I was thankful to be there to share in such a special "first" with you!