Colossians 3:17

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus,
giving thanks to God the Father through Him."

Monday, March 8, 2010

Dog Days

I'm not saying I'm as dumb as my dog.  I'm just saying I have the potential to be as dumb as my dog.  Don't get me wrong, she's smart for a dog.  She just, well, she's a dog.

We've been walking and jogging together regularly since she was a puppy eight years ago and she still doesn't quite get it.  She stops to investigate every plant we pass, not noticing I've kept going until she's yanked ahead by the extended leash.  She just doesn't have the same priorities that I do.  The dog tries to drink from every stagnant puddle.  Again, I pull her on ahead not wanting her to catch some parasite from the dirty water.  She just doesn't know what I know about these things.  She also repeatedly fails to realize that I have a good source of pure water to offer her once we get home.  At other times, the opposite occurs: I stop at a street corner to wait for oncoming traffic to clear while the dog continues to enthusiastically run ahead until I stop her with the leash. And all the while we're running, I'm giving her little signals, tugs, and whistles.  If she only heeded them, she would avoid so much of the trouble she gets into!
I was considering my dog's stupidity on my jog this afternoon (the upteenth time one of these infractions occurred) when I realized that sadly, I'm not so different.  I've been running with the Lord for over ten years now and yet I often still fail to notice His signals.  He may be building momentum while I'm lagging behind with my own set of priorities.  I strain for something that it seems like I need, just like my dog thinks she needs that drink of water. Yet He knows the source that I'm seeking is ultimately not what's best for me.  And if I were to simply wait on Him, He would be able to provide a better blessing for me than I could even imagine in my own strained attempts.  Sometimes, after running enthusiastically with Him in one direction, I continue to barge ahead, not realizing that He's stopped to wait or even to change directions.  If only I would constantly pay attention to His signals, I could avoid so much of the trouble I get into!

Just one more reminder to stay in the Word and in the habit of praying and asking for direction.  Not sure I care for the analogy, but I'm glad for the reminder to always listen for His guidance.