Colossians 3:17

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus,
giving thanks to God the Father through Him."

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Bold Decisions

I sat in a conference this week listening to my lead pastor describing four bold decisions our church leadership has made that have shaped our church.  And now I am sitting in my living room reflecting on some decisions my husband and I have made that will definitely shape our family and our future.  I feel like these decisions are bold too!

Change our Priorities
When I was offered the job of directing part of the children's ministry at our church, it required a slow-but-steady changing of our priorities.  Vacations are now planned around Sunday morning services.  Our time and energy is divided between ministry and family with much less time for the social gatherings of our twenties and early thirties. This has not felt like a sacrifice, as we are finding more joy in the different kind of fun of living and serving in missional community.

Change our Path
The second decision we made was that Adel should change careers.  The space industry was exciting and he never dreamed of doing anything else.  But then he went to Honduras.  In Tegucigalpa, he saw poverty like never before and felt what it was like to be God's hands and feet to help.  We have talked ourselves in circles about what we should do about this calling.  Do we uproot our family and become full-time missionaries?  Do we spend precious money traveling multiple times a year to be short-term missionaries?  Or do we use those precious resources to support the work of helping that others are doing in the most hard-hit areas of the world?  A career opportunity for Adel seems to have given us the answer.  A year ago, Adel switched industries from aerospace to oil.  He moved to an oil company working in IT and then quickly was moved to the engineering side.  Now he is working hard on getting his Masters in petroleum so that he can thrive in his new position and God seems to be blessing this change.  We still have hopes of leading our family on some short term missions in a few years but for now it looks like God is blessing us with the resources to give like never before.  (And it's still not out of the realm of possibilities to become full-time missionaries, but for now this carreer change is our path!)

Change our Lifestyle
Our third decision seems to make the least amount of sense.  As God is blessing our finances, we have decided to downsize our lifestyle.  When we first moved to Texas from California, we were amazed (awed, wonderstruck, dumbfounded) at what kind of home our money could buy.  And buy we did.  We were so house poor for the first few years that we couldn't afford to do anything other than live in this house.  Now, eight years later, our finances are looking good and this house has been a good investment, everything we dreamed it would be.  I had planned to raise my kids here and have plenty of space for teenagers.  So, when Adel started talking about down-sizing I was dead set against it.  Why would we downsize now that we can really afford this beautiful home?!  But then he started talking missional living, and I started praying about it, and God started changing my heart.  I think I will still be a little sad at the signing over of this great home (that stone fireplace, that movie room, the big backyard!), but I am joyfully excited about the smaller (and still quite nice) home we are buying and the new life our freed up finances will offer us: travel, financial freedom, generous giving.  

Change our Family
The last decision I'm listing here was the one that we actually made first.  I'm listing it last because it hasn't actually happened yet although most people who know us already know about it.  We want to bring new children into our home through adoption.  After the dust settles from our move and we are ready to take this on, we will be trying again to foster-to-adopt one or two children.  For better or for worse, this will completely change our family forever.  After our last troubled foster placement, I desperately pray that this time it is for the better!  It is a risk; all of these decisions are huge risks! 


I look at these changes and sometimes I fear for our sanity.  When I explain our plans to people, most of them look at me with big eyes.  We have been on the path to the American Dream and we are instead choosing the road less traveled.  This feels weird, and scary, and exciting, and wild.  Everything is changing.  Jesus changes everything.  Can't wait to see what the next years hold!

1 comment:

Teri Dufilho said...

love this, sweetie……how I love your heart…..and your hubby's heart…..