Colossians 3:17

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus,
giving thanks to God the Father through Him."

Monday, November 4, 2013

Celebration of Life

What a perfect night we had on Saturday, with friends and family gathered around tables, hugging, laughing, crying, and remembering my dad.  My mom was so anxious for it, because she knew with each hug, she would cry, and it would be so hard to share her grief with everyone.  But in the end, I think the sharing of grief actually helps ease the burden.  Each hug exchanged a little more healing for the brokenness.

Dad's LSU display



Uncle Tom offered to MC the night, and he was wonderful at getting control, keeping it moving, and helping us recover from the harder moments.  Matt and Paul made a video of my dad's life.  It was so wonderful to watch and be reminded of all the amazing things we have done together, and the fun, adventurous, loving dad I had.  Here is a link to the video: A Celebration of Life.  There were a few minutes in the video that were really hard for me to see, but still good: the picture of me with long brown hair, looking so much like Abby, and snuggling with my dad; the picture of Dad walking me down the aisle; and the picture of little toddler Isaac "shaving" next to his Boppa.

Photo displays.






Brian Marcotte, Dad's boss and good friend, was the main speaker.  He shared lots of stories of my dad, many of which I was a part of and can remember well.  He also Talked about Dad's character, how he was unrufflable, which he didn't think is a real word, but should be.  At the end of his talk, Brian gave Mom a feather and had a basket of feathers for everyone to choose from to remember Dad.  

Collage displays.





Others talked and told stories, and all had the same tone.  Dad was fun, adventurous, easy-going, calming.  They talked of how dad was happiest when he was with children, especially his own grandkids.  I was the last speaker of the night, just wanting to come up with Lindsay and tell everyone how dad loved his family by doing things with us and for us.  One of the ways he showed his love for us, was by making us breakfast or cookies, and the club that hosted Dad's celebration that night, was passing out cookies made from Dad's favorite family recipe.  

Belt buckles.

At the end of the night, I felt relieved that it was over, because it had definitely been a hard event to plan.  But mostly, I felt warm and grateful.  So many people knew me and came up to tell me stories about my dad or to encourage me in the days to come.  I received many kisses and hugs from Mom and Dad's friends from all over the world, and many decades of friendship.  

Unocal and Titan display.



Mostly, I felt grateful to be Dad's daughter.  In the stress and challenge of the past year of Dad's health, I had lost my sight of the span of his life.  It was so good to be reminded of his brown-hair days with beard, mustache, or clean-shaven; his running, camping, hiking, scuba diving, adventuring days; his father of baby girls days, clips in his hair, napping anywhere he sat; his days of faith in action, starting a church, hosting bible study, pointing others to Jesus through actions rather than words.  I had forgotten and it felt so good to have others remind me of who my dad was.  He was much bigger than I gave him credit for, which is pretty incredible, because I gave him a lot of credit.  

Boppa display.




I am so thankful for everyone who came that night, to help remind me, and each other, of the gift of a life well lived.  

No comments: