Colossians 3:17

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus,
giving thanks to God the Father through Him."

Monday, June 2, 2014

Layers of Goodbyes

Last Friday I helped Mom clean out Dad's closet a bit more.  We had already gone through and had everyone take what was special to them or what they could or would use.  We had his LSU shirts made into adorable dresses for the granddaughters.  We are having the rest of his memorable t-shirts made into 2 t-shirt quilts.  But the rest we were having trouble finding a good home for.  My dad only had us two girls and he was taller than both our husbands so there wasn't much that family could use.  

But Mom heard an ad for a company called Career Gear that collects gently used professional clothes to help men, many of them soldiers returning from duty, to get a fresh start.  She thought that would be a great thing to do with all of Dad's suits and business attire.  So we carefully searched through pockets just in case anything was left there (only a few random tissues) and then lovingly folded them all and bagged them up to donate.  Mom sorted through his ties for the ones to keep and the ones to donate.  A lifetime of ties, she said.  By the time we were done my trunk was full.
 

When I arrived at one of the locations that was collecting clothes, this small box was all they had.  So of course I panicked!  Would they be able to take this trunk load of stuff?  Would they use it well?  I talked to the manager and he assured me yes to both and then helped me unload my car.

We bypassed the box and used the tables behind it to load all of Dad's business clothes.  The manager commented on how much I had to donate.  I told him it was a lifetime of work clothes.

Of course, I had a good cry after I left the donation center.  The many many goodbyes we have to say are not easy.  I do love the idea of Dad's clothes helping others and I think he would too.  I pray these clothes will help men all over Houston to better their lives.  I like to imagine many men, walking into interviews, starting first days on the job, and attending meetings all over the city, all wearing different shirts, ties, suits, slacks, and shoes of my dads.

1 comment:

Teri Dufilho said...

:( sweet sweet post, meg…..love you