Colossians 3:17

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus,
giving thanks to God the Father through Him."

Saturday, January 5, 2013

New Job

I have been a mommy for 7.5 years, and what a journey it has been.  I never thought I wanted to "just stay home" with my kids.

But then I got pregnant with Isaac.  After talking to Adel, we both felt like my teaching job required too much for me to be able to be the kind of mom I wanted to be.

So I arranged part-time work at the school where I had been teaching.  But then Isaac was born.  He has always been especially attached to his mommy and I realized very quickly that part-time work was creating perhaps more stress than it was worth at that point.  And so, when he was about six months old, I quit altogether.

I have been a stay-at-home mom for 7 years.  It hasn't been all peaches and cream, but God has changed my heart over the years to value my family and our precious time together more than any other enterprise I have undertaken.

Even with that change of heart, I still have sought, over the years, the "perfect" job that would allow me to balance work and family.  Here's a snapshot:


  • Writing: I wrote 2 books, hoping to become a rich and famous author, or at least to keep myself intellectually engaged and busy.   I succeeded, at least, in keeping myself busy.
  • Speaking: I thought, after writing two books that I might at least find some speaking engagements about them.  I succeeded in speaking a few times, mostly for my own enjoyment.  At least I entertain myself.
  • Secret Shopping: this was a fun little job that I took for only a month.  I earned a few freebies and had a good time, but decided it wasn't for me.
  • YMCA instructor: a good friend got me a job teaching fitness to kids, nothing I had ever done before, but I was able to use my teaching skills at least.  I kept at it for a year or so, as long as it stayed fun and didn't cause stress to the family.  Once it felt like a stressor, I dropped it because my heart just wasn't engaged in the work.
All of those experiences helped me.  First, they humbled me, especially the rejection of the books and speaking jobs.  I learned that whatever I ended up doing, it needed to be for God's glory and not for my own.  Second, they helped me self-assess, especially the secret shopping and YMCA job.  I began to question what my heart was most passionate about.  When telling people about my YMCA job, I would admit that my heart wasn't in it:  "I would rather be teaching kids about Jesus."  I have also learned, through my bible study ministry over the years, that relationship-building (discipling) is another place where my heart is. 

So, the perfect job, the job that would be worth taking me away from my home, the job that would be worth a little added stress to our family, would have to be: part-time (because I still want to be a mommy first), and have to do mostly with building relationships and with teaching about Jesus.  Sounds pretty unlikely, right?!  I figured I would never find it, with my extreme limitations, and so I just wasn't looking.  But I was always wondering.

Then enters Ms. Lisa.  She is the director of all the elementary and preschool ministries of our multi-campus church.  She has been serving alongside me as I teach Creek Kids every Sunday, and she noticed how much I love teaching about Jesus.  I have taught at Creek Kids regularly for three years and it has been one of my favorite things outside of being a mom.  Lisa asked me if I would consider a part-time job as the K-3 director at our main campus.  

My first thought was, no way! Organizing and directing children's ministry was not on the above list!  But as Lisa went on to describe the job, my heart started to flutter.  She described how she wanted to use my teaching experience to help train up other teachers as we send them to the various campuses.  Part of the job would be to teach kids about Jesus, and also to teach other teachers how to teach kids about Jesus.  Well, that was on my list!  She said I would be the church's K-3 expert, in making decisions for what works for that age group.  Then she described how the job would also be to lead our teams of volunteers, to encourage and equip our volunteer team leaders, to grow people up in ministry.  Hmmm, that sounded to me an awful lot like relationship-building.  That also was on my list.  And, the job is part-time, which would allow me to be the kind of mom I want to be.

I walked away from the conversation, truly honored, and truly not knowing whether or not I would take the job.  After a day, I began to be excited about the idea.  After a few days, I realized that this job, while it had some elements I was not looking for, offered everything I had dreamed up for the "perfect" fit.  I began to see the job as a gift from God, an opportunity that fit my heart, my passions, and my schedule.  I am amazed at the way God has taken an area of my life were I have been joyfully serving, and given me the opportunity to have a part-time career.  What a gift!

And my first official day on staff is tomorrow!  This week will be my first week sitting at my new desk in the Creek Kids office.  I am really looking forward to every moment.  As Adel said when I first told him about the job: "Our family is ready for this."  And so am I!

I have already had the chance to meet all my teammates and they have warmly welcomed me onto the team.  This is our first picture as a team together.  

Thank You, Lord, for new blessings and new opportunities.  Thank You for teaching me through humbling experiences that everything I do needs to be for Your glory.  Thank You for helping me discover where my heart is and how I can serve You best.  Amen.






3 comments:

Kimberly said...

Yay Megan!! You will be such an asset! Congratulations to you AND to the CreekKids ministry!!

Robin said...

So excited for you! This sounds like a perfect fit for the crazy amount of talent you have.

Jennifer Sheppard said...

I am so excited for you Megan! Remember it can't be a "job" without some aspects that aren't fun, the key is finding a job with more fun parts than non-fun parts : ) will be praying this is the one you'll stay in for the long haul, the church will be all the better with your talents and passion bringing more and more people to Jesus!