Colossians 3:17

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus,
giving thanks to God the Father through Him."

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Rich?

I don't consider myself to be rich.  We rarely eat at restaurants, we drive used cars, we clean our own home and mow our own lawn.  We constantly have to make choices of where our income is going to go.  And I regularly catch myself wishing for more, comparing what I have to others around me.

On the other hand, I have had the wonderful opportunity in my life to travel to several other countries, most of them considered third world countries.  And this week Adel is traveling with a team from our church to serve a poverty-stricken neighborhood in Honduras.  These types of experiences open my eyes to how much we truly have.

Today, as Adel flies out to Honduras, the kids and I are kicking off a week of lessons to help us focus on thankfulness for the abundance we have.

I asked the kids to count how many stuffed animals we own.  61 was the final count.

And several times they have collected all the pillows we own.

Enough to line the floor of our family room all the way around the room.

And we won't even begin to count the number of Legos we own.  

We are rich.  We may not feel rich, or be in a position to buy everything our hearts desire, but we need to remember how blessed we are.  I'm hoping this week with Adel in Honduras will do just that.  We celebrated the beginning of our Honduras week with a Honduran send-off party for Adel and our good friend Mike, who will be traveling with the same team.

Shannon made pupusas from scratch. 

Adel fried up some plantains.

And we tried some new munchies too.

Shannon and the kids made a Honduran-flag piñata.  



And then we enjoyed some arroz con leche for dessert. 


 We are praying for Mike and Adel and Todd and all the rest of the team as they spend their first night in Honduras tonight.  I pray that our guys are equally impacted as the people they serve there. 

3 comments:

Chandra Hadfield said...

I really wish we could have enjoyed the festivities for the send off! I'm glad they are there and that we get to teach our kids a lesson in the process. This will be a good exercise for my kids this week as well. I love the "theme" food idea!

Teri Dufilho said...

awesome, megan.....you are indeed rich in everything that really matters!.....how wonderful for Adel to be abel to help in Guatemala and have that experience to be a testimony to his children....you and adel are always leading the kids to have sweet servant hearts!

Teri Dufilho said...

just realized i said "guatemala" instead of "honduras"......silly me!